||Homepage / Publications & Opinion / Archive / Daily Telegraph: Harddrive
Peter Cochrane's Hard Drive column appears each week in the Connected section of the Daily Telegraph.
This page lists articles published in 2001
If you wish to view articles published in previous years, be my guest: 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000.
For more information about Peter Cochrane and copies of other publications, visit his company's homepage: http://www.conceptlabs.net
- A Warning For The Music Industry - 08-11-01
It appears that the music industry has just taken another giant step in the direction of corporate stupidity.
- Are You Backed Up? - 25-10-01
IF ever there was an argument for multiple communication paths, the events of September 11 have to be it.
- Radio Signal Boom - 11-10-01
When I was a child in the 1940s, we had one radio in our home but no record player or TV. But today, radios are readily available as well as stereos, TV and computers.
- Thinking it Through - 27-09-01
Peter Cochrane despairs at the current knee-jerk decision-making mechanisms for issues that have national and/or global implications
- The Success of DVDs Will Depend On Them Being The Cheapest Form of Transmission - 13-09-01
NAPSTER and other free music sites promoted, and probably accelerated, more CD sales over the past three years than had been anticipated by the music industry.
- Street power wiring could work, be it not for basic physics - 30-08-01
EVERY six months or so, a business plan and technical outline of a revolutionary new technology and service hits my screen.
- Back to being Bandwidth Deprived - 15-08-01
But I shouldn't moan.
- Tired of Cash Till Time Wasting - 02-08-01
EVERY time I reach the cash till in certain shops, they ask me the same long string of questions which they asked on my previous visit. Name? Address? Telephone number? Post code?
- The Great Reboot Of The 21st Century - 19-07-01
Are we really going to have to go through a 10-year cycle to get our cameras, white and brown goods to settle down and become reliable?
- Ramblers Need Not Apply - 05-07-01
In a world that is speeding up, it is increasingly important to communicate effectively
- Band-Aid solution to bandwidth headache - 07-06-01
The universal lack of bandwidth in the local loop was a hidden and critical component in the dotcom bust and a key factor in the demise of internet services
- The Great Telephone Connection - 23-05-01
The computer world looks with some envy at the high-performance connection levels achieved by the well-established telephone industry
- The New Age.. ..of Pornography - 09-05-01
Sites span a wide range of specialist tastes in straight, soft and hard porn, through to fetish activities that Peter Cochrane really wishes he had never seen
- Electronically Stored Paper - 26-04-01
If all the materials he has stored electronically were printed on paper, Peter Cochrane would need a very large aircraft hangar
- Reading Our Minds - 12-04-01
Peter Cochrane ponders the possibilities for the ultimate technology
- The Hard Sell - 29-03-01
How can companies sell their latest machines to a public whose PC needs are already met, asks Peter Cochrane
- Wasting Time - 08-03-01
Downloading a 1MB file in Europe takes 30 to 60 seconds, but in the US only 6 to 12, bemoans Peter Cochrane
- Show us the Money - 01-03-01
It is ironic to see the music industry hell bent on destroying Napster when CD sales rose 15pc says Peter Cochrane
- Money down the drain - 15-02-01
Information technology should be about connecting people, not insulating us says Peter Cochrane
- The next big crisis is already looming - 02-02-01
The net is being strangled by lack of bandwidth says Peter Cochrane
- They'll be watching you - 18-01-01
Peter Cochrane explains how companies can listen in when you may not be suspecting
- Making a speech - 4-01-01
Technology can aid conference speaking, but it's still all in the delivery, says Peter Cochrane